Close writing: Classroom exercises that couple close reading with guided writing practices
Close writing: Classroom exercises that couple close reading with guided writing practices Online
In this workshop, we will share a variety of creative practices which ask students to attend closely to –and play with– language in their writing, an approach we call close writing. We will begin by detailing the theoretical and scholarly basis behind this approach, focusing particularly on close writing’s capacity to support students’ development of both writing skill and reading/analysis. Participants in the workshop will then have the opportunity to experiment with and share practices from their own classrooms. We’ll conclude by discussing possibilities for extending these practices beyond writing-intensive courses.
- Monday, March 20, 2023
- 12:00pm - 1:00pm
- Time Zone:
- Eastern Time - US & Canada (change)
- This is an online event. Event URL will be sent via registration email.
1) Introduction to close writing practices
2) Developing new writing and analytical practices
3) Critical analysis of writing pedagogies