THATCamp MSU 2021
THATCamp MSU 2021 Online
Location: Online, plus an optional in-person social at the end of the day
(Register by Sunday, August 22, 2021)
THATCamp (which stands for “The Humanities and Technology Camp”) is a gathering where the agenda is set by attendees on the day of the event based on what people want to learn and/or share. It is an event where students, staff, and faculty from any discipline and from all skill levels learn and build together in sessions proposed, led, and voted upon by the community.
At DH@MSU THATCamp, we create space for meeting fellow members of the community in informal networking sessions, and we encourage people to share their work in impromptu discussions and workshops. There is also time for a project showcase, when community members can share very short prepared or impromptu remarks about their projects and work.
This year, we are holding THATCamp as a virtual event from 9:00am-2:00pm, and there will also be an in person Ice Cream Social from 3:30-5:00pm outside Linton Hall.
The goals of DH@MSU THATCamp are:
- To bring people back together at the beginning of the academic year
- To introduce new folks to the DH@MSU community
- Build connections between community members for future collaborations, troubleshooting, and less formal interactions
Who is THATCamp for?
This is an opportunity for people, whether formally a part of the DH@MSU community or not, to gather, learn from each other, and make connections to carry forward into the academic year. We welcome:
- Members of the DH@MSU community, old and new
- Students in the Digital Humanities undergraduate minor or graduate certificate, and students interested in the minor/certificate
- Humanists who are engaged in digital and computer-assisted research, teaching, and creation
- Anyone doing or interested in exploring work in the digital, especially (but not exclusively) in the areas of arts, humanities, and social sciences
- Family members (kids)
This is a flexible, family- and pet-friendly event.
- 9:00-9:20am – Welcome and THATCamp basics
- 9:20-9:50am – Meet and Greets / Introductions (breakout rooms)
- 9:50-10:30am – Discussion and workshop topic ideas – gathering proposals, voting, and creating the schedule
- 10:30-10:40am – Break
- 10:40-11:40am – Session 1 (breakout rooms)
- 11:40-11:50am – Break
- 11:50am-12:50pm – Session 2 (breakout rooms)
- 12:50-1:00pm – Break
- 1:00-1:30pm – Project Showcase
- 1:30-2:00pm – Debrief of the day and Raffle
- 3:30-5:00pm – Ice Cream Social (in person, in front of Linton Hall)
*This schedule may shift if the community decides to make adjustments on the day of the event. For example, one of the sessions may break into two thirty-minute sessions in order to accommodate more topics. This page will be updated during the day of the event with any schedule changes.